Monday, December 3, 2012

The Hobbit - Goblins for every Occasion

I've been reading the hype and looking at the various glossy images of the new Hobbit releases without too much enthusiasm, I must admit. I don't know what it is. I love the Lord of the Rings, and I the a goodly amount of the models, but it just doesn't stir me with hobby lust.


From many accounts, The Lord of the Rings Strategy game is actually a lot of fun, but I've never played it, and very, very few of my gaming circle has either. Maybe that's why I'm not feeling it. The only thing that comes close to piquing my interest is the 'Escape from Goblin Town' boxed set, and only so I can loot the contents for other games. Those walkways would make great Mordheim terrain, for example.


But, when I cast my eye over the goblins, I did see something I might in fact, buy. They are the most maggoty, wretched goblins I've ever seen. Wonderful. Immediately a myriad of uses came to me for these ragged little bleeders. The first thing that came to me was ghouls. With the right paint job, these lads would make first-rate ghouls. They'd make fine zombies, or even plaguebearers. Nurgle-tainted gnoblars for those chaos orgre armies, mutants, plague zombies for 40k, the list goes on. Amazing the wealth of uses a little gobliny bag of pus can be put to.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree, only I do play the LotR Strategy Battle Game and love it to pieces. It feels fast-paced compared to WFB most times, but still has that grand battle feel. The Might/Will/Fate system for hero's makes for some extremely epic stories, and is probably the highlight of the system.

    That said, I have felt decidedly unenthused about The Hobbit releases. I am very happy to keep playing the existing ruleset with my Angmar Warband.

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...